Anthony William's Medical Medium Insanity
Problems I have with Anthony William's videos and books:
1) Without any evidence at all he says celery juice diffuses the unspecified byproducts of heavy metals and helps to dislodge heavy metals in the brain. I tried to find evidence of such an astonishing claim but could find none. If that is true then there should be evidence. It's noticeable that he didn't specify what those "byproducts" were. Water from fruits and vegetables penetrates deeper into the body to help cleanse it but heavy metals don't cleanse out that way. Not at all. If celery juice cleanses out heavy metals then why does he sell spirulina to do the cleansing? That does have scientific evidence of some effectiveness (see https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/dangers-spirulina-7035.html) against heavy metals in the digestive tract and bloodstream. But neither of those two can dissolve or dislodge the heavy metals from the tissues they are attached to. The only thing I know of that does that is 6000mg of ascorbic acid taken along with cilantro extract and spirulina or chlorella.)
2) He says he gets twice as much juice from his juicer than from others without doing a clear side by side comparison with another juicer. At best I think his juicer extracts 10% more, not 100% more. He sells a celery juicer for $280 which is 67% the cost of a Champion Juicer at $415 and yet he says at 10:52 of the listed video* "This juicer saved me thousands of dollars last year. I could of bought 50 juicers [50 x 280 = $14,000] with the money I saved [from extracting more juice]" which is a gigantic exaggeration since if he juiced $10 of celery daily and his juicer extracted 10% more juice then he only saved $365 dollars in one year, not $14,000.
3) He says that all ingested fat causes a stress reaction in the body and yet a scientific study found that a low fat diet led to higher death rates. And modern science says the brain is 60% fat and the fatty acids from fats are among the most crucial molecules that determine your brain's integrity and ability to perform. Lack of fats cause mood swings, memory loss, dementia, problems with eyes/hair/skin. 15% of the brain is cholesterol. Read about the essential fatty acids in the brain: https://www.knowyourbrain.net/how-much-of-the-brain-is-fat/
4) He says that eggs cause Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, etc without offering any scientific evidence. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. It has all the nutrients needed to start a new chicks life, all the vitamins and minerals. And the cholesterol it gives us only keeps the body from producing its own cholesterol because the body uses cholesterol to make essential hormones of all types. So even its cholesterol is healthy. Of course though eggs can be bad for some people if they have a weird allergic reaction to them but all allergies can be found out by doing the pulse test which Anthony knows nothing about.
5) He says viruses like to "eat" eggs and dairy products although viruses do not have a digestive system and do not "eat" anything. They only infect cells and cause the cells to make copies of the virus. It is not a whole living organism and does not eat. His making such blatantly false statements is alarming.
6) He thinks anti-spitting surgical masks are protective against viruses although 14 research papers say that they have zero effects for protection against viruses.
7) He says that eating fats causes fat to accumulate in the brain which causes the brain to shrink. I challenge anyone to show me one photo of a dissected brain which shows separate fat deposits easily distinguishable from the brain. So many errors by a self proclaimed "health expert" is nothing but a huge red flag.
Anthony wrote: "The idea that your body can switch to burning fat as fuel is also flawed. We don't run on fat. Fat does not convert to usable material for our bodies."
But Dr. Anthony Komaroff, a professor at Harvard Medical School, says "Muscles get energy by burning fat and sugar brought to them by the blood." which is an undisputed fact in medical literature. And common sense say Anthony is wrong because when we eat excess calorie-containing food we gain weight as excess fat, and when we exercise and burn more calories than we consume then we lose fat which means fat stores calories for later use. Back in primitive times people stored food for the winter months but still allowed themselves to get fat before winter so they would have stored energy they could use during the winter when they ate small portions of food to ration it. Anthony is just plain wrong.
A meta-analysis encompassing 58 studies and roughly 3,000 people reports that strength training alone can result in a 1.4% drop in an individual's total body fat. (which means fat is a usable energy storage) https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/health/strength-training-can-burn-fat-too-myth-busting-study-finds
Fat stores more than twice as much calories than with protein or carbohydrates. https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/r2p_energy_density.pdf
Metabolism is the chemical process that converts fat molecules into energy. It does this by breaking fat or triglycerides into glycerol and fatty acids. These are then absorbed by the liver, kidneys and muscles tissues until they are completely broken down by the chemical process. https://www.livestrong.com/article/362122-how-is-fat-stored-and-burned-as-energy-in-the-human-body/
Once the glycogen calories are utilized for body energy, the body then activates stored calories within fat cells, known as triglycerides, to replenish the depletion of glycogen calories. https://www.livestrong.com/article/480503-how-long-does-it-take-for-excess-calories-to-turn-to-body-fat/
1) gets people to drink large amounts of celery juice which supplies 32mg sodium per stalk which needs to be balanced with potassium although he doesn't also stress potassium rich foods.
2) has people reduce their fat intake to dangerously low levels. Yes all fats/oils incorrectly processed need to be avoided but the health food stores sell correctly processed oils that are highly beneficial, such as flax seed oil, which he does not mention.
3) has people reject one of the most nutritious foods on the planet, the egg.
At minutes 6:57-8:30 of one of his videos, Anthony Williams tells these lies: "Celery juice tends to make toxic heavy metals accessible so they can leave the system. What is amazing about this herb is that it has an ability to neutralize harmful toxins. And if you have toxic heavy metal residue floating around in your bloodstream... the oxidation that happens from toxic heavy metals causes a discharge, a byproduct which floats around the body in the bloodstream, and celery juice diffuses that toxic metal byproduct. It also helps to dislodge toxic heavy metals in the brain."
He sells spirulina although many commercially-available brands of spirulina have low levels of heavy metals that are higher than the safe range, according to a study published in the Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences in 2013. Some brands are found to contain toxic levels of heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic. He should be selling chlorella instead.
Where he got the idea to promote celery juice: https://www.rawgeneration.com/products/daily-greens-celery-juice?variant=32475185414206
But neither that site nor any other site or research paper says anything about celery juice detoxing heavy metals.
The human brain is nearly 60 percent fat. We've learned in recent years that fatty acids are among the most crucial molecules that determine your brain's integrity and ability to perform. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are required for maintenance of optimal health but they can not synthesized by the body and must be obtained from dietary sources. Clinical observation studies has related imbalance dietary intake of fatty acids to impaired brain performance and diseases.
Anthony says "The unique form of vitamin C in celery juice fuels the immune system so it can seek out and destroy Epstein Barr Virus." although there is only a mere 3.1mg vitamin C in 100 grams of celery (.00003%)
Anthony's video "12 foods that help heal EBV";
"Garlic is a powerful antiviral that defends against EBV by killing off virus cells.
Asparagus has phytochemicals in the skin and tips of its spears that push back EBV and help stop it from reproducing.
Celery Juice has a subgroup of sodium that I call "sodium cluster salts" that inhibit the growth of EBV."